Monday, July 11, 2011

Harry Potter article in honor of the movie coming out this weekend

So as I'm sure most people realize, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, Part II is coming to theaters this Friday July 15. I have read all of the books and am personally very excited about this movie as I have been waiting since November last year to figure out how they will end the book (properly I hope with all the proper characters and nothing left out)! One thing is for sure, it will be the darkest movie yet as the book was so definitely not for younger kids, though I'm sure parents will take kids of all ages to see it regardless. 

Today as I was browsing Facebook, I came across the link for this article from the Wall Street Journal and enjoyed reading it, plus there is a lot of truth in it. I know not all parents like Harry Potter, but even the haters have to agree that without it, most kids would not be reading as much as they do (as the article explains), due to the emergence of J.K. Rowling's series. I did not read the series when it first came out in 1997-98, as I thought it was overrated. However, one summer I was helping with a summer camp program and all the kids were reading it so I decided to check it out at my college library. The first couple were kind of boring, but I got hooked by the time I read the fourth one, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Then I couldn't wait for the next book to come out. I remember I was in NYC when the fifth book came out and the family that I was staying with that weekend had a 9 or 10 year old who absolutely loved the series and him and his parents were up at midnight the night of the release to get the next book. I was glad to see a kid, especially a boy, so excited about reading, as I have always been an avid reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment