Thursday, July 8, 2010

2010 ALA Conference

I didn't make it to the ALA Conference in DC this year because I was unsure of my job situation and of money (which turned out to be correct as my job is ending in August). However, I did really want to go especially after I heard how much free books and swag you get, as well as the chance to meet so many awesome and famous children and young adult authors. I am especially sad that I missed the chance to meet John Green, one of my favorite writers. That being said, thank goodness for people like another of my favorite authors Mo Willems, who pens the wonderful easy reader series Elephant and Piggie, which I love. He always has interesting things on his blogs and he put the 2010 Library Cart Drill Team Championship top three finalists on it right here. Yes, this "sport" apparently does exist. I only found out about it last year, but it's been going on as of this year for 6 yrs. It's pure silliness but it's so funny, kind of like color guard meets marching band meets dance. And for a marching band geek like me, it's pure genius. I liked them all, but my favorite is definitely the 1st place team. At first I couldn't figure out what they were doing, but once they started dancing it dawned on me. They were doing the Danse Macabre (Dance of Death) from Neil Gaiman's 2009 Newberry award-winning novel The Graveyard Book. It was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment