Tuesday, July 13, 2010

World Cup Final

Spain won the World Cup Final 1-0 against the Netherlands. I feel like I should be more excited about this as I was rooting for them the whole time, but weirdly enough I don't. I guess it's because I actually managed to watch the game and it was a bad game. My biggest problem was with the referring, specifically Howard Webb. I hated watching this guy ref during the 2008-2009 season as he gave out so many cards it was ridiculous, and this game was no exception with 9 yellow cards to the Dutch and 5 to the Spanish, plus one red card to the Dutch. It just seemed like they were handing the game to the Spanish, who weren't taking advantage of the situation until the 2nd overtime. So yay for Spain that they won the game, but I think I will have to go for the Dutch. So in honor of them, I decided to post a recipe for Dutch Apple Pancakes which I have been thinking about lately. This one comes from the Williams Sonoma website.


Dutch Apple Pancake
Also known as a German, or puff, pancake, this pancake puffs up because of the addition of eggs. Enjoy it for breakfast or brunch, garnished with a dusting of confectioners' sugar.
Ingredients:
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Directions:
Preheat an oven to 400ºF. Butter a 10-inch ovenproof braiser or fry pan. In another fry pan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbs. of the butter. Add the apple, cinnamon and granulated sugar and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the apple begins to soften and brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside. In a bowl, using a whisk, beat the eggs. Add the milk and whisk until blended. Sift the flour and salt into the egg mixture and whisk until just blended. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 2 Tbs. butter. Add the butter to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.Pour the batter into the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices evenly on top. Bake until the pancake is browned and puffed up, 25 to 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately. Serves 2 to 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment