Monday, August 9, 2010

Essay in the NY Times about YA literature

I really enjoyed reading this article. I, myself, love YA books and they're usually the ones I turn to first when I want something new and interesting to read. It is how I discovered and fell in love with Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy, Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series, and Suzanne Collin's the Underland Chronicles. I read Suzanne Collin's first book Gregor the Overlander for a series book project my children's literature class. I was trying to think outside of the traditional box for series and read some newer more interesting books. Gregor was definitely the gem in that group, and I devoured the other books in the series and then moved on to The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Now I can't wait for Mockingjay to come out, as the article says, like so many other teens and adults. In fact, I've started several YA series this summer and have been waiting for the library to process the books. These include Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex (#7 in the series); Linger, which is the second book of Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series and follows the brilliant book Shiver; as well as Rick Riordan's new series The Red Pyramid, which I hope is as good as Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

No comments:

Post a Comment