Sunday, September 26, 2010

Doctor Who

As I was browsing the internet this morning, checking email and Facebook to see what is going on with the rest of the world, a friend of mine posted this random video of a baby monkey riding a pig. I thought it was cute so I watched some more videos by the same person, also cute but found this great one about Doctor Who. I have only become a Doctor Who fan with the start of the new series back in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor himself. I knew nothing about the series until my hubby got me watching it and after a few episodes, I was hooked. I loved the sci-fi adventure and slight romance attitude of the show, discovering new worlds and alien cultures, battling the bad ones and befriending the good ones. The best villains ever are the Daleks, the Doctor's most evil enemies from way back. I mean it has to be so lonely being the only person left out of your entire species (which isn't entirely true, but for most of the time he is), that's why every new season he has a new companion. Christopher Eccleston was a great Doctor Who (even though he only stayed around for one season), but David Tennant as the 10th Doctor was even better and he stayed for two seasons. The new 11th Doctor is Matt Smith, who at first (just like at the beginning of the other series) I didn't like but grew to love his random quirkiness and goofy looks. What can I say? I love nerdy guys.

Ah the companions. In 2005, there was Rose Tyler and she stayed on for a bit of 2006 as well. At first I was quite miffed that they had stranded her in an alternative dimension as she seemed to be the love of the Doctor's life, but then again that is pretty much the companion's job isn't it? Keep the Doctor doing his job, saving the universe and all, and then flirting on the side seems to be the companion's job. After Rose, there was Martha Jones (the doctor) who I also liked, as she was more fiesty than Rose. In between, there was my favorite semi-companion Captain Jack Harkness. The fans liked him so much, they gave him his own spin-off show, Torchwood, which I also fell in love with. Jack is so crazy, plus you can never tell if he is really into guys, girls or whatever alien crosses his path. But he also has a really vulnerable side, which I think makes him a good companion. Plus he loves the Doctor. The second half of the 10th Doctor's tenure we had comedienne Catherine Tate as Donna Noble who was my favorite real companion as she was so funny and lost the much on the show. The 11th Doctor's companions are interesting because it started out with Amy Pond and then later it grew to include Amy's fiancee Rory. Also instead of falling in love with the Doctor (ok she did as a little girl and a bit when they were alone, long story), she ends up marrying Rory at the end of the first season.

I can't wait for the Christmas episode and the new season in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment